Just a few of the new features provided includes support for Steam gaming, automatic desktop notifications for new system updates, and – developed exclusively for Manjaro – a user-friendly graphical interface to easily manage and maintain the system. Experienced users can also take advantage of support for new features, including the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), B-Tree File System (btrfs), and Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) storage system.
A more detailed overview of the improvements in the 0.8.2 release is as follows:
- The default kernel series has been changed to 3.4-longterm for better upstream support
- Steam gaming is now supported (beta)
- Gnome Package Kit has been replaced with the Kalu upgrade notifier, and – exclusively for Manjaro – a user-friendly interface for pacman (the pacman-gui)
- A new Brazilian server is online (thanks, Holmes)
- Each flavour of Manjaro comes with an installation guide for beginners
- The CLI installer has been enhanced with additional language support, optional network configuration, hard disk encryption, and several bug fixes
- A 'Testing Installer' option has been added with support for new advanced features including btrfs, nilfs, luks, lvn, gpt, efi, and software-raid
- Plymouth – and its related bugs – have been removed
- Numerous bug fixes have been made, including the Resume/hibernate bugs affecting laptops (XFCE desktop)
Further information about Manjaro 0.8.2 developments can be found in our changelog. Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Manjaro 0.8.2 are also available in the following flavours (i.e. with the following desktop environments pre-installed):
- XFCE 4.10
- KDE 4.9.2
- Gnome 3.4.2 / Cinnamon 1.6.4
Openbox and Razor-QT are also available for installation from the Official Manjaro repositories. A minimalist Net-Edition is also available without a pre-installed display manager, desktop environment, or software applications in order to build your own Manjaro system from the ground up.
Manjaro 0.8.2 is a testament to the incredible dedication, enthusiasm, and skills of every member of the Manjaro Team. It has been a real pleasure to have become a recent addition to such a fantastic team behind such a fantastic distribution. On behalf of the entire Manjaro Team themselves, it is also a genuine pleasure to be part of such an amazing and supportive community.
Community, Wiki and Documentation
Tipp – If you have issues with unsquashfs due to less memory, maybe Installer 0.8.2a might help you out.
Posted in: general